Monday, March 21, 2011

Blog return/Africa

Friends, I am officially back from my long-time blog absence. I have good intentions of filling you in with a few prior posts on the gaps, but for now I'll give a quick summary of where I've been in the last few months:

After Chinle/Zuni Indian Reservations I returned to Boston for the summer. I then spent September doing a rotation at UCSF in San Francisco. After that, I was in Geneva, Switzerland working with WHO for 2 months, during which time I traveled around Switzerland and France, and to Paris, Porto Portugal, and Morrocco. Photos can be seen on my google photos page. Finally I returned to Houston for Thanksgiving and then began a marathon of residency interviews all across the United States. In February I traveled to Turkey for 2 weeks, and then departed to West Africa, where I am now wrapping up 1 month's travels. Next week I will return to Geneva to restart my work with the WHO until graduation at the end of May.

I have been inspired by all the (mis)adventure in Africa, and will write at least a post or 2 on this. The highlights have beeen:
-Thousands of birds surrounding us during a boat trip through the Parque Nacional des Oiseaux Djoudj in northern Senegal
-Brightly-colored French colonial cities in Saint-Louis and Ile de Goree, Senegal
-Market day at Djenne in the plaza in front of the world's largest mud-brick building
-Watching many different cultures fish and live in small villages all along the Niger River in Mali
-4 days trekking through and exploring the culture, people, and sights of traditional Dogon villages in Mali
-Kayking through narrow mangrove-lined saline river channels in the Sine-Saloum Delta of Senegal
-Relaxing along the beaches of Senegal and Gambia

No comments:

Post a Comment